- 2 cans peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large sprigs fresh basil
- In a large, deep skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Pour in tomatoes and use a wooden spoon to break tomatoes into chunks. Fill tomato can almost halfway with water and swirl to catch any remaining sauce, then add to skillet.
- Season with oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper and stir in basil. Bring mixture to simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid has reduced slightly, about 20 minutes. Discard basil before serving.
- Try this marinara sauce with our Pasta Dough recipe!
Recipe (adapted) by Makinze Gore.