There are several advantages to stone-ground wheat flour. The endosperm, bran, and germ remain in their natural, original proportions. Because the stones grind slowly, the wheat germ is not exposed to excessive temperatures. Heat causes the fat from the germ portion to oxidize and become rancid and much of the vitamins to be destroyed (Aubert, 1989). Since only a small amount of grain is ground at once, the fat from the germ is well distributed which also minimizes spoilage (Mount, 1975). Nutritive losses due to oxygen exposure are also limited by the fact that stone-ground flour is usually coarser (Thomas, 1976). As expressed in The Bread Book (Leonard, 1990), stone-ground flour is preferred by many bakers and natural food advocates because of its texture, its sweet and nutty flavour, and the beliefs that it is nutritionally superior and has a better baking quality than steel-roller-milled flour. Moritz and Jones (1950) and Schultz et al. (1942) showed that stone-milled flour was relatively high in thiamin, compared to roller-milled flour, especially when from hard wheat.
We have invested in the best stone ground milling equipment used by reputable mills across the world that are famous for their high quality, tasty stoneground flour.
Here is a list of why Stoneground:
- The optimum grinding process
- Preserving the natural flavour
- A matter of tradition and trend
- For decentralized flour production
- Grinding flour containing all the cereals natural vitamins, minerals and ballast substances
- Our grinding mills are specially designed to make a healthy & good wholemeal flour
- Our grinding mills is unique in the fact that the grinding is done by stones
- Stone grinding provides a fine ground flour and an optimum grinding process that preserves the goodness of the flour
- The growing demand for healthy foods containing dietary fibres has led to a renewed interest in traditional stone grinding of cereals
- Stone grinding produces an end product that can be sued for baking without further processing
- Stoneground flour has a larger surface increasing the ability to absorb liquid, giving an airy and elastic dough easy to work with
- By using daily ground flour the natural contents of nutrients and flavor also stand out giving the bread better aroma as well as overall taste.
- Our millstones are made exclusively from natural materials such as emery, flint, magnesite.