- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 1 3/4 cups Gideon Milling Cake Wheat Flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs, plus 3 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 225 g cream cheese, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 160˚C. Line two 20cm-by-5cm round cake pans with parchment and coat with cooking spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom. In another bowl, whisk together honey, milk, and oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, and zest on high speed until thickened (3 minutes). With mixer on medium speed, slowly add honey mixture to combine (1 minutes). With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture until combined.
- Divide batter between pans and bake until tops spring back and edges start to pull away from sides of pan (25 minutes). Let cakes cool in pans on a wire rack (25 minutes); invert onto rack, top-sides up, and let cool completely.
- Combine eggs, yolks, granulated sugar, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan over high heat. Cook while whisking constantly until thickened and starting to bubble around edges (2 minutes). Remove from heat; whisk in cream cheese.
Image and recipe (adapted) by Martha Stewart.